Skin Deco

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tutorial: Blair Waldorf with Burgundy Lips

The steaming hot love scene where Blair Waldorf lost her virginity to Chuck Bass in the back of his limousine made "Victor/Victrola" one of the most memorable episodes of Gossip Girl. Yet, the other thing that made this episode memorable to me (although I do love saucy love scenes as much as the next person!) was Blair's makeup during her celebratory dinner with the Archibalds.

For this tutorial, my attempt to re-create Blair's look was awfully feeble since I look NOTHING like her. Oh well, at least I tried and I had fun trying.

Read on for tips on how to achieve Blair's look as well as the tutorial.

Definitely not easy to get the exact picture I wanted but basically for the dinner scene, she wore dark burgundy on her lips while keeping her eyes neutral.

Blair shows off her porcelain pale skin and keep it looking matte and flawless. Her eyebrows are dark and well-defined, matching her brunette hair. She has a very deep crease so try using a dark matte shadow into the crease to give it more depth. Dark eyeliner and eyeshadow are concentrated on the outer Cs of here eyes to make them appear more rounded.

For her cheeks, she usually uses matte pale pink or coral blush. She usually goes for lip colors that matches her cheeks but she occasionally wear dark red lipstick, which stunningly contrasts with her pale skin. She also hardly wear shiny lipglosses. She always looks polished.

Items Used:

Face:
Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie
RMK Liquid Foundation in #103
Missha Perfect Concealer
Giorgio Armani Loose Powder

Cheeks:
Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush #6 (cheek contour)
Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush #11 (apples)

Eyes:
Beauticontrol Shadow Control Creme
Makeup Masala Mineral Eyeshadow in Priya
NYX Eyeshadow in Dark Brown
Shu Uemura Glow on Blush in P Gold 91
Makeup Masala Gel Liner in Cocoa
Dior Crayon Pencil in Black
Maybelline 5X Volum Express Mascara
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Mascara
Daiso Auto Eyebrow Pencil
e.l.f. Brow Kit in Light

Lips:
Eastgirl Perfect Liner Pencil
Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in 124 Bordeaux

Prep lid with eyeshadow base. Using a firm eyeshadow brush, apply Priya on the lid and blend from the crease all the way up to the brow bone. Using a small crease brush, place Dark Brown directly on the crease whe you want it. Blend Dark Brown with a larger round crease brush. Add more Dark Brown and repeat the steps to slowly build depth.

Darken the outer corner of the eye by blending Dark Brown into the outer-V. Apply Dark Brown on half of the lower lash line and blend the color inwards to the inner corner of the eye. Using a small brush, apply highlight only directly under the arch of the brow. Line the upper lash line with a thin line and only a tiny flick at the corner. Finish off with mascara and fill in brows.

Yet again, neutral colors always get washed out in pictures. Dang...

Bold lip colors have a tendency to bleed horrifyingly and make girls look like they've just gotten some serious "action". Thus, red lipsticks should be properly applied and not just slapped on. Start by linining the outline of the lips with a lipliner of a similar shade to your lipstick. Take a lip brush and blend the color of the lipliner to the centre of the lips. Since we want rich color, apply lipstick directly from the tube but make sure to color inside the line (kindergarten stuff!). Using the lip brush, get some of the lipstick and fill in the outline. To further prevent bleeding, lightly dust lips with loose powder after applying lipstick.

Darn Asian eyes. Where's that crease??!!

I look so Chinese... bwahahaha.

I couldn't go out with such vampy lips so I wiped it off with a makeup remover and it actually left a rose-petal stain that's quite pretty! My lips look more "voluptuous" than usual. Lol!



10 comments:

Traclyn Yeoh said...

I like your rose-petal stain than the vampy red lips! Look too mature for you...anyways, great tutorial!

LyNn said...

i agree with traclyn
i think the rose looks better on you.
also i noticed that the pic above your comment saying i look so chinese?
you reminded me of a vampire.
as it those erm sexy mysterious look :P

Connie De Alwis said...

Trac: red lips are so not for me! But I loved it on Blair! *sighs* Lol. with one lipstick the age difference is definitely like WHOA

Lynn: can't agree more. hahaha. I know! I looked so pale like a vampire.

Jenn said...

You look very sensuous with the red lips!! Yes, they make you look very Chinese!! You remind me of those elegant ladies in cheongsams in those vintage shanghainese calendars! Hehehe!!

The stain on your lips look so yummy!! :D~

Connie De Alwis said...

HAhaha... I usually don't look chinese but this time I do :p my eyes look so teeny >.< makeup not KAU enough. I wanted to do the Blair head band thing but failed miserably.

The stained color is so pretty. hehe. instant volume to the lips. since I can't use such dark lippies maybe I can just put the lipstick then wipe off for the effect!

Gwen said...

Wow! I wanted to request her look the other day, i totally forgotten about it. I wanted to wear this kinda make up to college simple and nice. Ahaha but about the red lippie, i think i will take a softer red. XD I doubt dark red lips will go with my age even i look good with them. I wish i had my brown black hair back, my hair is like purplish black now. T__T;; Thanks Connie!

Connie De Alwis said...

Gwen: I wore this look to college also this morning. Lol. got the boys noticing too ;)
Aww, you'll have your brown hair back soon enough. Myself, I'm thinking of going lighter!

fuzkittie said...

That is an AWESOME tutorial!!!! :D

Tine said...

Man those lips! *wolf whistle*

Anonymous said...

Lay off from dark make up, dark lipstick, eye shadow. It doesn't really look that great on you no offense.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy