Skin Deco

Monday, March 30, 2009

The Best $3USD That You'll Ever Spend

If you wear liquid foundation, you NEED this brush. I've always been on the hunt for dupes of the MAC 187 because it has been raved to give an airbrushed effect for liquid foundation. I finally got the MAC 187SE and although the finish was good, it wasn't exactly "airbrushed" as the reviews claim. I even tried the full stippling method (as in no swirling) and got better results but it took the longest time because the bristles were quite sparse.

e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush has completely murdered my lemming for the MAC 187 (RM180!). This is, hands down, the best foundation brush that I've ever used for liquid foundation. As if the Before and After isn't convincing enough! However, it's not to say that I won't ever buy another skunk brush. They're too cute :D

Read on for the review and step-by-step on how to get that airbrushed effect.

Just like the other brushes in the Studio line, the e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush is full black. The synthetic bristles are extremely soft and very dense. It did have a chemical-like scent but it faded after the first wash. With no shedding and bleeding, this is a very high quality brush with a price tag that doesn't match. I'm so stocking up on this!

The brush head size is slightly bigger than the MAC 187SE but the bristles are still flexible enough to get into the edges of the face like the sides of the nose. Quite obviously, the bristles are a lot more compacted and dense. From the picture above, the e.l.f. brush has been used about 5 times while the MAC 187SE only once and you can see clearly which one looks dirtier. The e.l.f. brush does not absorb as much foundation compared to the MAC. With the amount that I paid for my MAC187SE, I could've gotten 3 or 4 of the e.l.f. brushes... *sighs*

Applying foundation with this brush is very easy and fast. First, pour enough of liquid foundation (I'm using RMK) onto your palm. Then, get some foundation onto the bristles by lightly dipping the brush head into the foundation. Distribute the foundation onto your face, starting with the cheek and apply more on areas that require additional coverage. Continue stippling (tapping) until you get a flawless finish, which is within seconds. No buffing required.

e.l.f. Studio products can be purchased from www.eyeslipsface.com or via sgdrugstore sprees.

35 comments:

LyNn said...

owh
if i saw this review earlier i would have gotten it too :(
since there was the 50% thingy on elf studio line.
plus i already bought the malian one.
more exp samo!

nice review though :)

Connie De Alwis said...

There was a 50% discount on elf studio line?!!! Why didn't I know about it? O_O

Bex said...

now I want one too but they dont ship to the uk :-(

. j a n e . said...

Do you just tap it on the whole face like that without any buffing?
Won't it appear patchy? No?

Jenn said...

You've totally sold me on the brush!

Askmewhats said...

wonderful, the coverage is awesome!!!

Aleksis said...

I couldn't find this brush on the website! :(

Connie De Alwis said...

Bex: Awh, I'm sorry they don't. :( They really should! Even here we have to get e.l.f. from a middle person.

Jane: Yup. Just tap and no buffing. It won't be patchy.

Jenn: It's awesome! :D

Nikki: The coverage build-up is definitely great even though I didn't use a lot of foundation. It looks a lot more natural in real life. The foundation that I used was a shade lighter than my skin so it gave a white cast :(

Alexis: Hope this link helps :) http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio

Jenn said...

WOW!! this brush is really amazing leh!!! So cheap somemore!!

My 187SE does give me wonderful airbrushed look, but it bleeds like crazy so i'm NOT happy with it!! >.<

Leslie Yang said...

i know that if you enter the code

"carolina"

it gives you 50% off any orders that are $15 or more. :)

jojoba said...

taht's a super ad for this brush! it's awesome! you gotta write to them about your praising its products. :)

gio said...

wow, this brush sounds amazing! Unfortunately, the studio line isn't available here yet, but as soon as it is, I'll surely check it out!

Aleksis said...

Thank you Connie! :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: Mine bleeds a lot too which is why I don't like having to wash it after only two uses. >.<

Leslie: Thanks for the info. They don't ship internationally though :(

Jojoba: Yes! I need to get them to ship international! Grrr....

gio: It is amazing :D and the price is incredible

Alexis: welcome! :D

prettybeautiful said...

hey this is so so amazing! O_O you look TOTALLY FLAWLESS! thank u for posting this up, now i REALLY must read reviews before buying stuff. lol.

Pink Cotton said...

have you ever tried the elf studio complexion brush for liquid foundation? :P

i got a few elf studio products at half price which is only rm9 from gonzalesgirl in lowyat.net...too bad u missed the sale :(

Connie De Alwis said...

Pretty: Yes! You should :p That's why we write reviews

Pink cotton: It wouldn't work. The complexion brush is too soft and not dense enough. Great for powder but definitely not for foundation

*sighs* I didn't know.

Sofee said...

I have this brush and i never have thought to use it as a foundation brush..I think I might give it a try :D thanx for the info!!

KayKamaL said...

wow..im sold on this brush..uh2..y i never knew abt the sale..hukz..~

yummy411 said...

i still haven't clicked that purchase button on my shopping cart on elf. what am i waiting for!?

puss.in.heels said...

Connie, I finally put my Mac 187 brush far far away and am now using this $3 flat top brush from ELF! Isn't this an amazing find?? I tried it with my fav liquid foundation, and WHOA! The application was a tad simpler too and quicker than using the stippling brush. Honestly, if anyone wants to spend THAT much $$ on the Mac187 for liquid foundie application, don't bother. Get this brush instead!!

Connie De Alwis said...

Sofee: Great! now you can try it as a foundation brush :)

Kay: Now you know what to buy for the next spree ;)

Yummy: Buy buy buy!! :D

Puss: Me too. I haven't been touching my MAC187. I think I'll just use it for blush instead -_-

Anonymous said...

Hi connie...
juz dropping by to check out on ur blog.
tat brush is great i have 2 of those....
juz out of curiosity, what foundation are u using wit the brush?
I kind of like the effect and the finish or ur foundation.

Connie De Alwis said...

I used RMK Liquid Foundation :)

Tine said...

Gah, the Australian ELF site doesn't have this!! :(((

Gina said...

Hey Connie, do you think this works for BB cream too? I only use BB cream and normally I just spread it with my fingers which takes up some time for perfect coverage.

LyNn said...

ya girl.
there was a 50% earlier.
i think somewhat in march.

but i didnt manage to get them anyway
since the seller "claims" mine was oos.

Anonymous said...

Elf has a UK site! it's eyeslipsface.co.uk, and it's a bit more expensive, but for those who live in the UK you can get the same products!

Kizzy said...

What a great review! Very helpful!

And...I just ordered the brush after reading this ^-^

Marcelle said...

Wow.. I'm so gonna buy this brush. Thanks for the review Connie..
do you know if I can find e.l.f in hongkong??

and totally agree with you about #187.. it's taking a long time to apply foundation with it.. hmmff..

lilithbloody said...

Hi there!

I asked at Specktra about a good foundation brush and you came with this wonderfull post.. I bought the brush and love it!

I have never used the #187 so I can't compare, but this brush is great. The first time I used it I felt like I was wearing a mask, but i realized that it was because of the huge amount of foundation that I used :P (I usually use a sponge that absorbs a lot of foundation..)

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your helpful post :)

Chien Yee said...

has anybody bought from this site? is the price for this overpriced here?
http://beautyin2u.blogspot.com/2010/04/april-2010-elf-us-cosmetic-new-arrival.html
it's rm15

solsekuin44 said...

Chien Yee, it's not overpriced considering that it is ready stocks, no waiting time as in spree. I bought from her too before, when I was in a rush. =)

Elaine said...

I love love love this brush. When I got it I hadn't expected that it would be good for applying foundation but it's amazing.

Anonymous said...

hi! awesome coverage! i'm eager to know what foundation you use here. thanks :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy