Skin Deco

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Silk Naturals: Cheek Colors + Fiber Optic Brush

Some time ago, I combined order with the So Loverly girls to get Silk Naturals products. I've wanted to get my hands on the Fiber Optic Blush Brush from the moment I saw the review on Christiana's blog. Prior to this, I've used my MAC 187SE brush to apply blush and it has given me beautiful colorings but it was a little too big and I didn't want to sell my arm for a MAC 188 brush.
Along with the brush, I've picked up a few cheek colors that are dupes of some high end brands: NARS and MAC.

I've also included a mini tutorial on how to use the fiber optic brush for cream blush.

Read on for the reviews, swatches and tutorial.

When they say sample, they MEAN sample! There's very little product in the jar but sufficient for about 7-8 uses. All the mineral powders are finely milled but not necessarily a breeze to blend.


Mineral Glow in Cupid
= Dupe for MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Northern Lights
= Golden Bronze Pink Glow
= Gives that slight added glow but barely noticeable. I still prefer my MSF in Light Flush or even my e.l.f. Healthy Glow Powders (Sun Kissed, Luminance)

Sheer Blush in Enchanting
= Dupe for NARS Blush in Dolce Vita
= Deep Red/Brown Matte
= I fell in love with this color. Such a perfect night blush that makes the cheeks look chiseled. I'm thinking of getting the full sized jar for this shade. If it was an everyday blush I may not have to consider.

Sheer Blush in Lovelace
= Dupe for NARS Blush in Deep Throat
= Medium Apricot Shimmer
= Despite the sharp color in the pot, it gave pretty poor color payoff. Doesn't stay on too well either. *sighs* Rather disappointing really.

I don't have lemmings to get more blushers from Silk Naturals despite the tempting dupes. Quantity and pigmentation wise, I'm a bigger fan of Everyday Minerals blushers.

From this order, I was most excited about the iddy biddy Fiber Optic Blush Brush. It's really very teeny! I don't have a comparison picture but you can be assured that this brush is about three quarters of the MAC 188 in diameter. Side by side with my MAC 187SE, the length is slightly shorter making it great to travel with. The brush head is obviously much smaller. When it comes to the softness and density, it is very comparable to the 187SE.

During washing, there was just a few bristles that came out with a little bit of dye. No big. At least it behaves a lot better than the 187SE

This brush gives great percision to blush application with an airbrushed finish. However, if you're not the kind who would spend more than 2 minutes to apply your blush, you wouldn't like this brush. But if you're like me, you may just love this brush. I do admit though, that I wouldn't use this brush if I was in a hurry.

By the way, the brush is selling for USD5.99. That's a steal!

This is a great brush for applying cream blush since usually you'd need more control for it.

Dip the tip of the bristles into the cream blush. Get just enough product on the bristles. Distribute the color where you want it by stippling. After you've placed the color, you can start blending.

Blend in circular motions only on where the blush was placed.

12 comments:

Askmewhats said...

eeeekk! that fiber brush looks too cute! it's perfect for blushes and your cheeks look wonderful!!!

心。葵 @ plue said...

omg! smaller than a 188! And 188 is very small dy! :p

Yeah, it's a nice brush! Great for travelling! :D

Sue said...

Cool! I didnt know Silk Naturals has fiber optic brush too! Looks pretty good to me.. at least better than the 187se that bleeds 24/7. LOL!

Connie said...

Nikki: It's absolutely adorable! And so portable.

Plue: Yep. it's smaller than the 188.

Sue: Yeah! I was expecting better quality from MAC even if it's just an SE. *sighs*

pinkyping said...

oh cupid look so nice! I like this sorta glowy shimmery type haha. and I am tempted to get the brush for cream blush... sigh.

gio said...

That fiber brush is so s small and cute! It's great for travelling.

jojoba said...

I love how you show your brushes and testing. I am very satisfied with my Etude House Skunk for now so I won't be looking for another one. But I'd keep this post saved as a reference. You did a great review. Love it!

Connie said...

Pinky: The swatch looks a lot nicer than when applied though :(

Gio: Yep. It fits nicely into my cosmetic pouch

Jojoba: I'm tempted to get the Etude house brush!! But I shall resist.... Glad you like the review :)

waiwai said...

Hi connie!

I've been looking high and low for minerals makeup tt will match my skin. Mine's olive based as well. but in NC30. Do you have any recommendations for which one to choose from EDM?

Connie said...

Hiya
Olive Golden Medium should match as well since I find it to be slightly fair for me. I've also read that Golden Light and Winged Butter would suit NC30.

Hope you'll find the right shade :)

waiwai said...

woo! thanks for ur lovely advice! I can't get any specific advice from ppl, but u're a great help!:)

Tine said...

I have the Fibre Optic Brush, but don't know what to do with it yet. I'll try it on a cream blush like you suggested :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy