Skin Deco

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Review + Camparison: MAC Pro Creme Liner

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you reading this post has never seen or heard about this product. Honestly, I didn't either until I saw it up for sale and looked it up. The MAC Pro Creme Liner in Black has definitely been hiding in the shadow of the ever famous Blacktrack Fluidline. This product is no longer being sold at MAC stores in Malaysia so I'm pretty damn pleased to own this one despite having reasons to dislike it. There are times that I'm completely in love with it too so I welcome this liner into my makeup stash and I know it'll be with me for a very long time.

My decision maker: rpere009

Read on for the review, swatches and comparisons.

So, first thing that you'd notice is that the packaging is almost identical to a MAC eyeshadow. Indeed it is except for the glossy brim. In the pan is a very thick cream. Like modelling-clay-thick. To put you out of your confusion as to how such a thick creme could possibly work as a liner; this product is water-activated meaning that you'd have to use it wet (with water or mixing medium). What you do is you moistened your brush first before you dip it into the product. What you will get is a much more fluid line.

There's already a huge pro with how the product is used. Since it's water-activated, this creme liner will most likely never dry out compared to other gel liners or liquid liner. This means it'll literally take you years before you can finish using the product. This liner, from what I've read, is popular amongst working makeup artists because the product can be easily cleaned for hygienic usage between clients. Simply spray with disinfectant (rubbing alcohol) and wipe the top layer. The cream is firm enough that you won't lift up too much product.

The fluidity of the liner can be adjusted and it may take a few tries (or more than a few) to get the best consistency, which should glide smoothly over the skin and dries quickly. Too wet and it'll take ages to dry, too dry and you'll get smudges. If you get the consistency right, you should have a beautiful dark line that stays put and wouldn't smudge for hours and hours.

This liner can also be quite the b!tch by giving you a perfect line on one eye and a not-at-all perfect line on the other. I HATE when that happens. If you're going to rush your makeup, don't use this. The more you rush, the more the liner will go horribly wrong.

The Fluidline jar packaging looks a lot more classy but not necessarily the most practical since the glass is heavy and the lid is detached. Content wise, Fluidline contains 3g of product while the Creme liner has 2.5g of products. Although less in grammage, the creme liner will have a much longer usage life since it's water-activated.
Also, since the Fluidline will slowly dry out, it'll get more difficult to use the product as time goes where as you can always make the creme liner fluid.

But what makes me choose the creme liner over the Fluidline is the color. Black is black right? Not quite when it's so obvious that the creme liner gives a much richer black when applied wet in comparison to Blacktrack. Really dark liners can make the colors of your eyeshadow stand out a lot more.

I'd only recommend this if you have as much patience as I do to make a product work. If you don't you'd just hate it A LOT.
Blacktrack Fluidline is still my favourite go-to black gel liner because it's reliable but as I perfect the usage of the Creme Liner, it may eventually win first place.

Only available at MAC Pro stores or http://www.macpro.com/

11 comments:

fuzkittie said...

Hi Connie~ thanks for your comment! :] You've got a cool blog!

Elaine said...

totally unrelated :P

may i know what lenses r u wearing in the tutorial Amazed n Lucky??

if u were to recommend, which type of lenses look more natural n yet really define ur eyes? I have black hair and thick black eyebrows....

Lastly, where did u buy it n how's the prices like?

Thanks in advance!

Askmewhats said...

Wow! You are right, my eyes widened ! I've never seen this product and thanks for showing this to us! I'd be too lazy to apply liner especially I'm always in a hurry, but you're right, the color is darker! and I guess it really takes a whole lot of practice to master the technique :)

Connie said...

Fuz: Thanks for dropping by :)

Elaine: Please refer - http://skindeco.blogspot.com/2009/01/connie-what-big-eyes-you-have.html

Alex. said...

Oooh, you're right about my never hearing about this. Hmm. I don't know if I should get this over Blacktrack. I struggle with liquid liners a lot and I feel like the gel consistency would give me a little more control. When water is added, is it thicker than your normal liquid liner?

Connie said...

The consistency feels exactly like using Fluidline so it's still easy to control. Definitely easier to control compared to liquid liner which I am still yet to master.

Blacktrack is definitely still the more reliable one with the whole no smudging thing. But this creme liner's blackness... so gorgeous. It works perfectly just as long as I have the consistency right. And it'll never dry out :D

Abdul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pinkyping said...

oh man.. if only the liner is a little easier to apply. hmmp. I think I will continue lemming the fluidline haha...

Alex. said...

Thanks Connie. (: Gah I still don't know which one to get. Do I want the beautiful color or the ready-to-go convenience? Ahh. Lol.

Connie said...

pinky: Fluidline would be a better choice if you're looking for something easy to use

Alex: I take both! I only use the creme liner for thin lines (so that I know it won't smudge on my crease if I got the consistency wrong) and if I have loads of time. FLuidline when I'm rushing.

Alex. said...

Very true. Again, thanks. =)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy