Skin Deco

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Reviews: NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil + NYX Rouge Cream Blush

I'm taking it slow with the NYX product reviews. I've managed to *finally* use all the products but getting good pictures is another issue as well. For this post, I'll be reviewing NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Slate and NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Natural. I also bought two more NYX Round Lipsticks and also NYX Megashine Lip Gloss -- reviews and swatches coming up soon!

My days have been very busy so please bear with me. I'm not even done with my exams yet *groans*. Oh, I've also included a mini tutorial on how I use the Eyeshadow Pencil as a base.

Enjoy!

Read on for the reviews and tutorial.





NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencils are very popular as great dupes for MAC Shadesticks. They are basically cream eyeshadows in a pencil form. The color that I got was Slate, which is a well-known dupe for MAC Shadestick in Sharkskin. I've seen swatches of Sharkskin and they look pretty close! The e.l.f. Studio Eyeshadow Stick was also said to be a Sharkskin dupe but I think Slate is a closer match.

The texture is indeed very smooth and easy to blend but it smudges quite easily so I would not recommend using this on its own. I use this as a base and it's not bad at all. No creasing with Urban Decay Primer Potion beneath it. You'll need to sharpen this pencil which is a boo-boo for me. I would prefer if it was packaged in a more practical twisty tube. I'm thinking of getting more colors but I'm yet to decide on which to get out of the 24 colors. And at USD3 from Cherryculture, the price is pretty decent.

I used slate to bring out the color of Lancome Eyeshadow in Romantic Lily since the color is duo-chrome and doesn't show too well on a nude base. First, apply the shadow on the lid up to the crease. Then, take a sponge tip applicator to smudge the edges of the shadow. Apply eyeshadow over and blend.

Finished look with e.l.f. Dramatic Lashes. I've blended MAC Eyeshadow in Glare on top of the crease and Origins Eyeshadow in Glistening Granite into the outer corner. There are two crease lines from the eyeshadow and not from the eyeshadow pencil. Yep, apparently some eyeshadow formulas tend to crease easier than others.

You'd be surprised at how difficult it is to find a decent cream blush shade because many times I've either had them too bright or too dull. After looking at so many swatches, I finally settled for NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Natural. The compact is pretty huge so there's lots of product in there. The packaging looks classy (MAC-ish) but it doesn't have a mirror so, points off for that. The cream is softer than say, Stila's Covertible and Bobbi Brown's Cream Rouge, making the pan look pretty ugly after a few dips from the brush. Fortunately, with such creamy texture, the blush blends wonderfully and gives a gorgeous glow without leaving any harsh lines. The color seems pretty intense when initially applied but after blending, it does look very natural.

I apply the blush using a duo fiber stippling brush and I'll show the steps in a near future post. The blush is applied after foundation and before powder. The blushes are USD6 each from Cherryculture.

9 comments:

Chian Li said...

i'm eyeing on the cream blush! do show the steps soon! :D

Elizabeth said...

Slate looks gorgeous! I should've gotten that instead of Black Bean which I hardly use. I do like Strawberry Milk a lot as a pink base though. I'm lemming Milk but lazy to preorder.

Connie said...

Chian Li: They cream blushers are very pretty. Yep. I'll post them up soon.

Elizabeth: Slate has a more metallic sheen. I suppose that makes it more wearable compared to Black Bean. Maybe you could just wait til you have a long list from Cherry Culture then one shot order.

Alex. said...

Yay! That shadow is simple but pretty! Loves it, as per usual. <3

Connie said...

Alex: Thanks :)

Agnes said...

shalalalla! i have cream blush too!! in rose petals. ze best cream blush ever!! okay i should rephrase, its my only cream blush T__T..

Connie said...

Rose Petals look really pretty too. I think I'm not inclined to getting so many cream blushers either :-/ I still prefer powder blush.

woah!! said...

can you say "SCRUMPTIOUS!!" I have GOT to get my little hands on those. Great photos, very detailed too...love the colors!

Sheila

Anonymous said...

NYX is extremely affordable with nice packaging..why on earth would you be so critical and take points of for not having a mirror? That makes no sense

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy