Skin Deco

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tutorial: Rihanna at the 2008 AMAs

Rihanna often has very memorable makeup looks -- in a good way! She always looks polished and yet she dares to take a little risk with her makeup unlike the boring old-skool smokey eyes that you'd usually see on the red carpet.
I fell totally head-over-heals for her Red Carpet look at the 2008 American Music Awards. This should explain why:

And of course, I attempted to recreate the look. Please keep in mind that I am not Rihanna and I look nothing like her and my eyes aren't perfectly almond-shaped like hers so this is just and inspired look. Of course, I do hope that this would give you an idea on how to get a similar look to this. We cool? Enjoy then!


Read on for the tutorial or if you just wanna know the items I've used.


Items Used (I'll post up the swatches later):



Face
Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie
RMK Creamy Foundation #103
Revlon Skinlights in Peach Light
e.l.f. Tone Correcting Concealer
Chacott Loose Powder
e.l.f. Healthy Glow Powder in Luminance
Everyday Minerals Blush in Walkee Talkee (I should've used a more orangey blush)
MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Light Flush (on the apples)

Eyes
L'Oreal De Crease
Indelible Cream Eyeshadow in Nude Frost
Sweetscents Mineral Pigment in Pearl and Gold Silver & Diamonds
Manly Eyeshadow Palette: 1-I3 (medium rose brown)
MAC Eyeshadow in Concrete (such a b!tch to blend!)
MAC Eyeshadow in Ricepaper (highlight)
Bloop Eyeliner Pencil in Black
in2it Long Wearing Eyeliner in Black
L.A. Colors Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Flamingo Mascara
Prescriptives Eyebrow Powder

Lips
Markwins Lip Gloss Rouge in Pink
KATE Lip Gloss in PK-2

Prep the lid with L'Oreal De Crease. Using a flat synthetic brush, apply Nude Frost cream eyeshadow up to the crease, concentrating more on the inner lid. With an eyeshadow brush, sweep on Pearl pigment over the Nude Frost base.

Next, get a soft round crease brush to apply the Rose Brown eyeshadow into the crease. Bring down the shadow to the outer corner of the lid and shape the shadow into a wing. Blend the edges and the separation lines well.

Intensify the crease by applying Concrete into the crease, starting from the outer corner of the eye. Use a firmer round crease brush and follow the shape of the Rose Brown shadow placed earlier. Using a small eyeshadow brush, sweep Gold Silver & Diamonds pigment over the Pearl pigment for a white gold sparkle. Apply Ricepaper as highlight right under the brow bone.

With the eyeshadow done, the last thing you'd wanna do is mess it up with the liner! So, to be on the safe side, line eyes to your desired shape with an eyeliner pencil. Darken the line with a liquid eyeliner pen. If you're daring enough, darken it even more with a liquid liner. For the lower lash line, pencil liner will do. Finish off with mascara.




23 comments:

yummy411 said...

great tut! you look gorg!

Connie said...

Thanks! :D I was kind having a bad hair day though

Askmewhats said...

super pretty Rihanna look! I love the color combination and the way you blended it :)

fann fann said...

beautiful!

心。葵 @ plue said...

lovely! :D

i like the bright pink lips. i can't pull it off :(

J said...

This is super gorgeous!! I love love love the winged liner!! :D

Anonymous said...

yah your winged corner is absolutely perfect! i can never do it myself that way =( i love your skin, btw, looks so glowing and radiant!

btw, can i ask, how do you put on the loose mineral pigments without them falling everywhere? because everytime i try to put them on, bits of it falls on my cheeks and under my eyes. it'll stain my cheeks with the colour then =( how do you make apply it on your eyelid without tehm falling everywhere?

The Home Spa Goddess said...

Hope you & yours have a beauty full Thanksgiving!

Connie said...

Nikki: Thanks! I had quite a tough time trying to blend the crease though! Stupid MAC Satin shadow >.< My lids were burning after that

Fann Fann: Thank you! :D

Plue: Thanks dearie... Yer... actually I don't like the lips. Kinda too bright but that was my only pink lipstick :-/

Connie said...

J: Thanks! :D I love the winged liner too. I won't usually wear such huge wings when I go out though

Anonymous: Thanks *blushes* I'm still not very confident with it yet which is why I use the pencil first to outline the wing. Lining takes practice!

Having a really good base helps the pigment to "stick". Sometimes I'd use an additional stickier base like Paint Pot, cream eyeshadows or even wet pigment to create the base first before I put the dry pigment over it. Using a dense brush instead of a fluffy one also helps to pack on the colors better. Pat instead of sweep to prevent fallouts.

HSG: Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you too :)

KayKamaL said...

im still struggling w browns n neutral colors..make my eyes look panda-ish~

Anonymous said...

ok got it thanks! XD

Connie said...

KayKamal: Depends on how you apply lor. and what sorts of neutral colors.

Anonymous: Thanks :)

gio said...

This is gorgeous! I love the lip color!

Connie said...

Thanks! I still don't fancy the lip color -_- maybe I'm just not used to it.

prettybeautiful said...

u look REALLY gorgeous!

/admiring your eyelining skills in envy

Chian Li said...

wow~ look at that glowy skin~

Connie said...

Pretty: Lol! Thankies. *Stays still for Xin to admire* :p

Chian Li: And I have to thank my trust e.l.f Luminance healthy glow powder :D

心。葵 @ plue said...

yay! i bought the Luminance! After so long! yay! I want glowy skin!

* goes after Connie *

Connie said...

Yay! Now you can have glowy skin :D

Tine said...

Really dig the way you did the eyes. I'm so experimenting with this. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Connie said...

Tine: Good luck with the experimenting! I hope it'll turn out well and I'd love to see it!

Anonymous said...

i love it ! super pretty! thanks ! :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy