Skin Deco

Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday is Aspirin Mask Day!

I have a new beauty ritual now. Every Monday night I will do an Aspirin mask. Familiar? For those who've never heard of Aspirin masks, it is a facial mask (and scrub!) well, made out of good old Aspirin! Aspirin aka Acetylsalicylic acid is a type of Beta Hydroxy acid. As if it really matters what those scientific names are, here's the real deal about what salicylic acid does for the skin:

"Salicylic acid is a great exfoliant especially for people with acne-prone skin. Its has the ability to penetrate the pore. It can therefore exfoliate within the pore as well as the surface of the skin. This reduces blackheads, blemishes and whiteheads. Salicylic acid also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which is another reason why it is good at treating breakouts.
Salicylic acid breaks down keratin, a protein that forms part of the skin structure. This causes shedding of skin cells, removing warts, calluses, verrucas and improving cell turnover.
It also reduces oiliness, skin discoloration and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It improves collagen production, skin thickness and barrier functions.
When used in combination with other treatments, it allows their ingredients to penetrate the skin more easily and effectively." -- Beautifulwithbrains.Wordpress.Com

That's good news for the skin, no? At only 40 cents per usage, it's a dream come true.

Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to make this mask. It's dead simple! Promise! If you've tried this mask before, do share your experience.

What You'll Need...

2 tablets of uncoated Aspirin, water, cleansing gel


  1. Place the tablets in a dry palm
  2. Drip a few drops of water on the tablets and watch it fizz
  3. Add in a little squirt of cleansing gel which helps the aspirin adhere
  4. Mix everything together and make more fizz

5. Apply a thin layer of the mixture on dry skin. Avoid eye and lip area
6. Leave the mask on for around 10 minutes
7. Wet your palms and gently scrub for a minute or two
8. Rinse off and follow with moisturizer

Can you see the difference? Well, not so much but if you squint hard enough you should see that the pores look smaller, the texture of the skin is finer and more luminous.

Despite its greatness, it has a downside. The salicylic acid may irritate the skin and cause an allergic reaction to some people. This is a very harsh and drying mask so be sure to use the tablets sparingly. I've heard of some recipes that consists of 5-7 tablets and I personally think that's too much! 2 is already quite strong for me. Also, do the mask not more than once a week. Excessive exfoliation can severely damage the skin, causing hypersensitivity.

This is gotta be THE BEST budget beauty home recipe. The brand of uncoated aspirin that can be easily found is Dispirin and it goes for RM1.60 for 12 tablets at Guardian Pharmacy.

15 comments:

J said...

Girl, you beat me to this!! I have an Aspirin Mask review lined up too! Great minds think alike!! Haha!!

I loveee how smooth this mask made my skin!! The price is crazy cheap too!! I use only one tablet though... maybe i'll try two next time!

Have you tried it with honey before? I've read about how smooth and moisturizing this version is... but i'm afraid of making a mess (and inviting them darn ants into my room!!)!

jace said...

i use honey with my aspirin mask all the time ;)

only hard bit is trying not to eat it off your face!!

Askmewhats said...

awww thanks for this! i am so intrigued with aspirin masks now :) :) :)

Connie said...

J: Lol! I guess topic clash is a very common thing in the beauty blogging world. It'd be great to learn about your recipe though! I wanted to try it with honey but I'm kinda too lazy to get it from the kitchen.

Jace: Which explains your smooth glowing skin ;)Maybe I should try it with honey some day.

Nikki: Go try it! You've got nothing to lose and your skin will feel smooooth

prettybeautiful said...

damn this recipe sounds so fab! but i always have a problem with Salicylic acid.

SIGH

SuzyJones said...

Thanks for sharing, I was looking for some remedies on how to eliminate whiteheads on my face. This could be a good choice.

But I'm still don't if I'm allergic with Salicylic Acid.

Connie said...

Pretty: What happens when you use salicylic acid? :-/

Suzy: You're welcome! You can try a little patch test on the under side of your arm or neck

ccw87 said...

Thanks for your great tips Connie...
I will work it out tomorrow :)

yummy411 said...

once again another fab post!!! i might try this.. esp since i don't need a pill crusher etc. yay!!!

Akonana99090 said...

wanted to do a review on aspirin masks too but my camera wasn't strong enough to produce a good before and after picture for the viewers, sigh. :(

anyway, have you tried it with honey? makes your skin silky smooth man! you can also dump in anything good for the skin, eg ampoules, spring water, etc.

yahui
www.chaborkia.com
=)

Connie said...

ccw87: Welcome! You can share with us how it works out for you :)

Kia: Thanks! Yeah, no need for pill crushers. The tablet will just fizz. The pharmacist told me that it's water soluble

Yahui: Actually quite hard to get the before and after picture. I tried several times. Yeah, I wanna try it with honey the next time. I've just been too lazy :p

NYCbumpkin said...

I do my own version of it as well, and it's honestly the best mask and exfoliator I've ever used (including pricier products).
My pills are tiny, so I use 6 of them, get them crumbled up with a few drops of water, then mix it up with plain yogurt. So I get the acne fighting benefits of the acetylsalicylic acid (derivative of salicylic acid) as well as the gentle exfoliating and moisturizing benefits of the naturally occurring lactic acid in the yogurt. My skin is so soft and smooth afterwards!

Connie said...

Yogurt sounds like a good idea!Thanks! i'll give it a try someday

Anonymous said...

What I do is crush up a bunch of aspirin, dump it into a little tiny jar (about 2"dia x 1.5"high), add a bit of water to mix, then add a very small mixture of olive oil and Vitamin E oil, and finally squirt one of my favorite drugstore masks in with it (such as Queen Helen's Mint Julep Masque or Got 2b in your face clay masque). Then, I combine it all real well and put on just enough to cover my face and neck and leave on for 10 minutes or so. This way, I have enough for several "sessions" (usually only once or twice a week). The mixture of the oils and the clay masques help to keep the aspirin from falling off my face, and my face feels great afterward. Also, I have been mixing a small touch of this olive oil/Vitamin E oil blend in with my regular moisturizer (+ a dab of water) for the last 3 years, and simply EVERYONE comments on how youthful and vibrant my skin looks - and I'm 50 years old. (I've only just started with the aspirin masks.) My inspiration for using olive oil came from the ancient Egyptians, who seemed to know a thing or two about preserving the skin (for eternity). Seems to be working so far!

Anonymous said...

i think michelle phan did this like 2756237523 years ago. same exact thing

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy