Skin Deco

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Addicted to Lip Balms

Lip balm is definitely something that I cannot live without since I have sensitive lips that crack and peel under stress with the occasional cold sores. Here are some reviews of the lip balms that I've been using a lot of recently (including some that I've stopped using).

When determining a good lip balm, what I find most important is how well it soothes irritated lips. A high moisture level is important as well but not too greasy. I'm usually a sucker for minty lip balms and ingredients that attract me are Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil and Cocoa Butter. Since I've had a couple of horrific incidents of allergic reaction towards lip products that coincidentally contain beeswax, I would tend to avoid lip balms with high content of beeswax. There's no confirmation of my allergy though as they don't always flare up. For this reason, lip balms are trial and error products for me. When they cause an allergy, I'd just have to chuck 'em aside despite how good they are thus I try to go for drugstore brands.

Read on for the reviews.


Mentholatum Natural Ice Medicated Lip Protectant SPF15


"Helps prevent sunburn. High SPF gives more sunburn protection. Helps prevent and temporarily protects dry, chapped, or windburned lips."

The first thing I noticed about this lip balm was the scent which is a very strong menthol almost like medicated menthol oil (aka Minyak Angin Cap Kapak). You could probably double it as a vapor inhaler. The lip balm gives a cooling sensation to match its scent. Although it feels slightly greasy than what I'd prefer, the balm glides smoothly and sufficiently moisturizes the lips. Chapped, peeling lips are immediately smoothed and lips are softened within a few hours. Since the product is high in Dimethicone, the lip balm doesn't wear off easily even after drinks. I like this lip balm very much and I'll definitely repurchase it.

Available from Drugstore.com for USD1.59. Other flavors/formula: Cherry and Sport (SPF30)


The Natural Source Caramel Lip Balm Bubbles


"Deliciously scented lip balm bubbles to thoroughly protect and moisturise delicate lip area.
Contains sunscreen to protect from damaging UVA and UVB rays.
There are 6 varieties to choose from to suit your mood!"


I got this off a clearance rack for 70% so it only came up to RM8.70. The "bubble" is very huge so you'd actually have enough lip balm to last you for quite some time! It looked cute at first glance but once you remove that lip-shaped collar, the bubble jar looks plain without any labellings or writings whatsoever. It's also bulky and you can probably cause a concussion with it. I like things in jar because it allows product maximization but the rim of the jar is quite deep so you gotta reall stick your finger in to get the product. The balm itself isn't too bad. It doesn't smell so much like caramel instead there was a distinct smell of castor oil which is also its main ingredient. It works to keep the lips feeling soft and moisturized (compliments from the boyfriend!) but not too much when it comes to soothing. For some reason, this balm seems to reduce the swellings of my cold sores though.

Available from The Natural Source outlets or www.ozwin.com.my (Malaysian e-store) for RM29. Other flavors: Banana, Spearmint, Strawberry, Vanilla and Pure Natural.


Blistex DCT: Daily Conditioning Treatment SPF20


"DCT combines moisturizers, vitamins and protectants to provide a daily maintenance regimen for your lips."

DCT has good jar packaging where the product is filled to the rim, which is almost the same width as the rest of the jar. This makes it convenient to get the product out of the jar. The scent is like a blend of mint and cocoa butter (which the product contains). I quite like the scent but not everyone would (Carmen, Danielle and Andrew didn't). The balm is not as moisturizing as I would like it since I have to keep applying the product over and over again just to get the right amount of moisture on my lips. There's a slight minty feeling but it sometimes irritate the lips rather than soothing them.

Available from Watsons for RM10.80


Clinelle Lip Solution SPF36


"A moisture-rich lip solution especially formulates to gently moisturize, soother and protect lips from harmful ultraviolet rays."

Colorless and scentless, this creamy balm moisturizes the lips excellently without feeling greasy. Dry lips are effectively relieved and softened while protected from frequent chapping. The balm is packaged like a lipstick so the product doesn't stick to the sides of the tube like how regular lip balms in tube packaging would. This product contains Shea Butter which is definitely a plus for me. All in all, a good lip balm to have around. It doesn't do miracles but it keeps the lips well-conditioned.

Available from Watsons or Guardian Pharmacy or www.clinelle2u.com for RM19.80


Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick


"Elizabeth Arden's renowned Eight Hour Cream in a super-protective, portable stick for lips. Enriched with emollients, protective sunscreen and vitamin E."

When I started to use this lip balm, I thought I had found my savior and I could finally eat crab without worries. This lip balm relives very chapped lips and even a rash although the texture is slightly oily. The scent is exactly like the 8 Hour Cream which is kinda like lemongrass. The lipstick packaging is classy and the balm is available in several sheer shades. It was like some sort of a miracle when my lips were smoothened after just a few hours of application. And then I became allergic to it after 3 days. *SIGHS* I hate when this happens to me. Thankfully the original 8 Hour Cream works really well for me but the tube is just too big and messy to carry around.

Available from Elizabeth Arden Counters and Watsons Pavilion for RM68


Nivea Lip Care Hydro Care


Can I just say that it feels like putting lard on the lips and smells like oil that has gone bad? I just plain did not like this. It did nothing for me.

Available from Watsons or Guardian Pharmacy for approx. RM7. I got mine after discount, RM5.

8 comments:

Fabuless Beauty said...

I feel naked without my lipbalm. I have to have it! That bubble lip balm is huge!

plain.jane said...

my fav is Body Shop's Vit E lip balm.. at RM19.90

Fashionasia said...

i like vaseline and recently discovered nivea caregloss shine. I used to love foreverliving lipbalm too. its quite good.

plain.jane: i had the body shop vit E too. But it kinda turns bad after only a few months. It smells....does it happen to yours?

Agnes said...

I LOVE MYLIPSTUFF lipbalms!

you gotta try it! so so so moisturising!

and also Cocoa palmer's chocolate lipbalm xD...

Connie said...

Fabuless beauty: It is huge! I was quite surprised

plain.jane: There used to be a Body Shop lip balm that was my favourite and the best ever. The tube had a blue label with a white daisy or chamomile or something. But they've discontinued it :( Haven't found anything as good every since.

fashionita: I can't use vaseline on my lips. For some reason I'd get bumps. :p I kinda wanna try the Nivea SOS lip balm but I'm not sure if they're available locally

Agnes: Tried. allergic. Lol! Cocoa palmer's too. Even the new dark chocolate and peppermint.

diana said...

I can't live without my lip balm. I use blistex for my cracked lips. I also used the lip scrub by sara happ to help smooth out my lips too.

prettybeautiful said...

my colleague bought the clinelle balm and i watched the miracle! her lip was so so chappy and cracked, and recovered 80% the next day. miracle.

Connie said...

Diva: I'm not totally put off by Blistex yet so perhaps I'll try a different product.

Pretty: wow! really? but yeah, the clinelle lip balm is pretty awesome

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy