Skin Deco

Monday, May 19, 2008

Mineral Foundation

The hype for mineral powder foundation has been ongoing, although not so much in Malaysia, but very much so in the United States. Of course, since I’ve been exposed to mineral pigments and loving them so much, I’ve given mineral foundation a try as well.

Mineral foundations are as stated in the name, made of minerals and they are heavily pigmented powders so that you do not have to use a lot of product. They are suitable for all skin types and especially recommended to those who have sensitive skin and tend to react badly to regular foundations. Minerals foundations typically have a high content of titanium dioxide which is a great sun protection ingredient. Usually, coverage can be built gradually especially when using a dense kabuki brush to buff on the foundation. Alternatively, mineral foundations can be mixed with water (or rather, used with a moistened brush) to create a liquid foundation effect. You may also mix it with your moisturizer to create a tinted moisturizer. I’m yet to try out the wet method of applying mineral foundation.

So far I’ve tried 3 different brands of loose powder mineral foundation. I first started with Sweetscents, then E.L.F. and recently, MAD Minerals. I’d like to compare the different brands of foundations and also what I generally feel about mineral foundation.


Sweetscents

This gives a sheer coverage but just enough to even out the skin tone. My skin looks really smooth and refined. It doesn’t feel dry at all on the skin (probably because most mineral foundations do not contain talc which is an oil absorbing ingredient) and I really liked the feel of it. However, it didn’t stay on and just worn off after just half a day. I have a sample pack that is in a darker shade which I find to work as a good tint for a healthy-looking skin color or used even as a bronzer.


E.L.F.

Due to the fact that I wanted something with a heavier coverage, I actually got the E.L.F. Mineral Concealer. However, to my disappointment, even the concealer could not give me the coverage that I wanted. The staying power is comparable with Sweetscents’ foundation but I think I like Sweetscents better. It just looks better. The only thing I like about this is that it has shimmer (if you don’t already know, I’m a sucker for shimmer) so I guess I can use it as a finishing loose powder or something but I would not actually use this as a foundation.


MAD Minerals

This is by far the most preferred mineral foundation that I’ve tried out of the lot. The coverage builds up really well and the staying power isn’t too bad either plus the finishing is really smooth. On the down side, I feel that this foundation is a tad too dry for my skin because it accentuated my “lines” and it also tends to cake up around my cheek area where I usually load up on the coverage. However, whenever I choose to use a mineral foundation, I’d reach for MAD’s. I’m also looking forward to try the wet method for this foundation.


All in all, I think that mineral foundation isn’t a too bad addition to makeup because there is a huge lot that are in love with mineral foundation (I feel left out *sobs*) but I still prefer liquid or cream foundation. I don’t find the hassle of using mineral foundation all that worth it for the effect that I’m hoping for. Or perhaps I just need a better kabuki brush. I don’t know. I’ll update you when I eventually find something that I really like about mineral foundation. I’m really hoping that a better brush would make a difference.

Mineral foundations are now available from Loreal (a more generic brand). I have not tried that before and I don’t really intent to because it’s quite pricey and I really don’t need such a big jar since I can’t even finish what I have now (you really just use very little product!). The Loreal one comes with a mini kabuki brush (which feels like a broom, by the way) and if you’re trying that out, I’d like to know what you think of it!

10 comments:

yummy411 said...

fabulous review! i just participated in your survey and i like your tips and tricks, but further more I LOVE COMPARISON product reviews!!! thanks!

what's your wet method for the mineral shadows? mix the powder with water or to spray a brush??

Connie said...

thanks! I've only tried using a wet brush for the concealer (E.L.F) but it didn't come out too well. I'm yet to try actually applying the foundation with a wet brush. From what I've seen in a video on you tube, she sprayed the brush with water then pat on the foundation.

Lilcarmen said...

wah..mineral foundation...too hassle for me...I mean it's like...I think I need 15 mins to put on the mineral foundation..(-_-')..while I need 5 mins for liquid foundation..lol...at last u updated~..such a relief..phewz*..haha..

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ, for one. I prefer powder foundation to liquid/compact foundation (Mainly because I love sheer coverage and I don't need heavy coverage) and it doesn't look "thick" or obviously made up. Powder foundation is also extremely convienient to use- just dip your brush in, tap off excess, dot on forehead, cheeks, chin (Nose too if you prefer) and buff.

I highly recommend the kabuki brush from Jamince in LYN ;)

BTW I am waiting for my mineral foundation from ELF (I bought a concealer before but the colour was too light). So yeah... currently using powder foundation from The Body Shop.

P.S. I enjoy your blog.

Connie said...

Thanks for viewing my blog :)

Mineral foundation is definitely ideal for those who like a sheer coverage and a matte finish. i would highly recommend mineral foundation to those who seek those effects from a foundation.

unfortunately, I always prefer slightly more coverage and a dewy finish thus I prefer liquid foundation. I never like compact foundations though.

Fabu-less Beauty said...

I've never tried those mineral makeup brands. Have you tried Everyday Minerals or Buff'd? They work really great too!

acsmvtak said...

Hey ladies...
Try this brand
www.everydayminerals.com its from the US and they give up free samples to choose your color. you just need to pay for postage that cost around USD5 plus and after conversion its only RM13.00 + only. I LOVEEEEE this mineral and really addicted to it. I also realized i breakout less with this makeup as it doesnt clog my pores

mineral makeup said...

I personally love organic foundations and natural cosmetics because the thought of absorbing all of the chemicals into my skin does not interest me. The typical woman absorbs over five pounds of chemicals through her skin into her body from makeup.

organic cosmetics said...

It is very important to look good no matter where you are. You never know who you are going to meet and you need to make a good first impression. You never know if the person you have just met will be your future client, employer or even lover.

Ishara said...

It is very important to look good no matter where you are. You never know who you are going to meet and you need to make a good first impression. They are suitable for all skin types and especially recommended to those who have sensitive skin and tend to react badly to regular foundations. Minerals foundations typically have a high content of titanium dioxide which is a great sun protection ingredient. Usually, coverage can be built gradually especially when using a dense kabuki brush to buff on the foundation. Alternatively, mineral foundations can be mixed with water (or rather, used with a moistened brush) to create a liquid foundation effect. You may also mix it with your moisturizer to create a tinted moisturizer. I’m yet to try out the wet method of applying mineral foundation.You never know if the person you have just met will be your future client, employer or even lover.Thanks.
jason matlo

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy