Skin Deco

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cheap Tools! Good or Bad?

I managed to get some cheap brushes so I thought I'd write a review on them. I'm really getting into brushes but they can be expensive so I'm always on the look out for cheap ones but does the job well. I'll also be reviewing a cheap eyelash curler.


Malian Skunk/Duo-fiber Stippling Brush (RM12.90)

I've been looking high and low for a duo-fiber stippling brush that would not cost me an arm and a leg so you can just imagine my reaction when I saw this lil fella. It's not a substitute to a MAC 187 brush of course but it's a great addition. The brush is quite small and has a short handle. The bristles are soft but stiff enough to stipple so that you can use this to buff your liquid foundation for an air-brushed effect. Because of how small it is, it takes up some time to stipple the entire face plus this brush sheds about 3 black bristles every time I use it. I'll still be looking out for a substitute but for the time being, this will have to do. It's handy, it serves its function and the price is unbeatable. Available at Chamelon.

My Rating: 3.5/5


Malian Concealer Brush (RM5.90)
Malijiaen Angled Foundation Brush (RM4.90)

The concealer brush was initially an eyeshadow brush but I found it to be too flat and stiff to be a shadow brush. However, it worked well with my concealer and cream eyeshadow. The bristles are compacted so I am able to blend my concealer without so much streaking. It's a good brush that's worth more than its price. Available at SASA.
My Rating: 4.5/5

I couldn't resist the price of the foundation brush which is why I bought it. This brush is short-handled. The bristles are firm, soft, smooth and well-compacted but perhaps a little too hard which causes some streaking. The angle makes it easy to reach areas such as the nose area and under eye area. I would recommend this brush as a basic foundation brush but of course, it's no match to a good quality foundation brush. Available at Chamelon.

My Rating: 3/5


Voce Moda Angled Powder Brush (RM9.90)


I wish I hadn't bought this brush. It's very prickly and uncomfortable on the skin. The bristles are too loose so I can't really use it to apply my blusher or use it for contouring as intended. The brush head just flattens on my face. It doesn't pick up powders that well either so I have to keep on reapplying to get the product on my face. Not to mention, it sheds. A lot. Fortunately it was only 10 bucks. Available at SASA

My Rating: 1/5


Eyelash Curler (RM3.90)


Yes, I know I just bought a heated eyelash curler but I thought I'd get a mechanical one that would be more appropriate to use for curling lashes with mascara on as well as to pop into my cosmetic pouch. I like this curler very much firstly because it's quite comfortable to use. The holder is easy to control and the curler arch fits just nicely onto my eye. The rubber is like some sort of silicon so it's easy to clean and gentle when curling. The curl was quite natural and lasted for reasonably long hours. Available at Chamelon.

My Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

yummy411 said...

hey connie! cheap brushes are trial and error, but they are a gem when you finally find a good one. regarding your skunk brush, i have a MACse from the holiday set. these brushes aren't supposedly as good as the full size ones, but as far as the skunk brush is concerned i beg to differ. i've heard of shedding with the full size mac brush an my Se version does the same.. the black hairs shed when using foundation, esp. creamy ones. i also like my Se version to be a compromise between the well known #187 and the beloved smaller version #188. have fun with your new tools and i hope you find a some more great brushes. how about conditioning your angled brush blush? maybe that'll help with the roughness perhaps?

Connie said...

thanks for the input! yeah, cheap brushes are certainly trial and error but I'm definitely up for the hunt! conditioning didn't work for that brush :( I've washed it twice already. I use the MAC brush cleanser . The bristles are soft but they feel very prickly on the skin and make them kinda itch.

Anonymous said...

hi! would you recommend any other uses for the Malian Skunk/Duo-fiber Stippling Brush other than for the liquid foundation?
would it be suitable for powder usage like blushes or finishing powders?

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy